30 June 2013

Man of Steel (2013)


          Essential plot rundown: Superman tries to keep his existence a secret until Gen. Zod comes looking for him.  I had never seen a Superman movie before this, but I never really have been a fan of Superman either; he's too powerful with too many powers.  But, this movie looked pretty awesome.  Unfortunately, it wasn't awesome; good, but not awesome.

          My biggest problem with the movie is its non-linear story telling for most of the movie.  The movie uses a lot of flashbacks, jumping from Clark Kent doing one job to him as a child.  Then it cuts to Krypton and then back to Clark working somewhere else. Not that that is bad in and of itself, it just doesn't work in this type of film.  The film jumped around too much which made it hard me for to connect with and care for the characters.  I didn't really feel that there was any character development.  I never felt what the characters were going through.  And because of this, I wasn't invested in the film, which made it good instead of awesome.

          Visually the film is pretty sweet.  I liked all of the production design.  The costumes looked cool, the vehicles and technology were interesting.  Everything looked great (I just didn't care for the characters).  Speaking of looks and characters, I thought Henry Cavill looked the part of Superman.  When I looked at him, I saw Superman.  But, I didn't think he acted the part very well; something was lacking.

          And the ending sequence lasted too long.  There were a lot of people fighting and things getting destroyed way before the final showdown between Superman and Zod.  So by the time they finally confronted each other, the whole novelty of watching things being annihilated was beginning to wear off.

          While I liked it, Man of Steel wasn't as good as I was expecting.  But, it did make me want to watch the original movies with Christopher Reeve, which is always a good thing for a remake/reboot to do.  But it'll have to wait while I watch the Star Trek films because Star Trek Into Darkness did the same thing.


     But that's just my opinion...



No comments:

Post a Comment