17 May 2012

Between a Rock and a Hard Place (2004)


          I finished reading Aron Ralston's memoir yesterday, and though I'm no book expert, I thought I'd write a little something something about it.  Essential plot rundown:  Aron, an experienced outdoorsman, gets trapped inside a canyon.

          This was a really good book.  It's amazing that he remembered enough of what happened to write about it.  Ralston does a good job describing his situation and bringing his audience into his world.  I was excited when he finally freed himself and super relieved when he finally found some people to help; it felt like a burden was lifted off of my chest.  And his description of his surgery is cringe inducing.

          I really only had one complaint about the book.  Every other chapter, Ralston switches from describing his current predicament to talking about some other adventure he had had.  And I found that a little distracting.  Now, don't get me wrong, I liked the other stories, but felt that there was too much.  They were interesting and added to his character but what I really wanted to read about was him being stuck in the canyon.  Thats cool that you went hiking by yourself, but what are you going to do to free yourself?!?  If he had cut half the stories out or made them shorter, I think it would have been a lot better.

          But, overall, it's well written and worth reading.  I'd recommend it to anyone.  I saw 127 Hours little over a year ago, but I'm going to try to re-watch and write about it soon.


     But that's just my opinion...




No comments:

Post a Comment